Based on the popularity of the Inkplate 6 and Inkplate 10, we are excited to present you with the newest in our open hardware e-paper series: the Inkplate 6PLUS.
Inkplate 6PLUS is an incredibly simple to use e-paper display featuring a powerful touchscreen and front-lighting. A Wi-Fi enabled ESP32 microcontroller makes this 6.0 inch e-paper display – recycled from Kindle e-readers – easy to control. Simply plug in a USB cable, open Arduino IDE (or MicroPython), and change the contents of the screen with few lines of code. Thanks to its low-power mode, you can run it for months, or even years, on a single battery.
What can I do with it?
Just a few of the things the Inkplate 6PLUS can be:
- A high-latency information panel - Show calendar, temperature, weather, and air quality data. Track your stocks, learn a new word each day, display information about whatever song is playing, or keep tabs on your social media accounts. Switch between various options easily using the touchscreen. Inkplate 6PLUS will draw almost no power until it needs to pull new data or refresh its screen.
- A collaborative task tracker - Maintain shared lists of groceries to buy, chores to do, and birthdays to remember. No dry-erase markers required - just tap the screen to mark as done. Or, replace the power-hungry wall monitor in your office with an e-paper kanban, even several.
- A minimalist e-paper typewriter - Get those words out, store them on an SD card, and sync them to the cloud, all while keeping your distance from distractions like social media and email.
- An open hardware e-reader - Sweep aside the barriers put in place by restrictive, centralized platforms, and e-read whatever you want!
- Art - Frame photographs pulled from an SD card or an online camera roll. Generate abstract art from sensor data. Torment your house guests with a modern take on the classic, black-and-white "photo booth".
Features & Specifications
- 6.0 inch, 1024x758 pixel e-paper display with support for greyscale, partial updates, and accelerated refresh cycles
- Touchscreen with support for up to 2 simultaneous touches
- Front-light on the panel, adjustable to 64 levels of brightness
- An on-board ESP32 microcontroller with integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE)
- Extremely low-energy, battery or USB powered operation (including a 25 µA sleep state) that wrings days, weeks, or months out of a single charge
- A MicroSD card reader, which Inkplate 6PLUS pulls from to display
- Real Time Clock onboard
- A form factor that's optimized for the design of custom enclosures. An optional 3D printed enclosure will also be available in the campaign for purchase.
- Additional GPIO pins, easyC/Qwiic compatibility, and support for I²C and SPI
- Arduino libraries (100% compatible with Adafruit GFX) and a MicroPython module that facilitates the rendering of text, images, and line art
How does the Inkplate 6PLUS compare?
Here is a handy chart showing the differences between the Inplate 6PLUS, 6, and 10.
|Inkplate 6PLUS||Inkplate 6||Inkplate 10|
|Screen Size||6" ||6"||9.7"|
|Resolution||1024 x 758 ||800 x 600||1200 x 825|
|Total number of pixel||776,192 ||480,000||990,000|
|Front-light||Yes, controllable ||No||No|
|All-in-one Board||Yes ||Yes||Yes|
|Low-Power Mode||22 μA ||25 μA||22 μA|
|Battery Charger||Yes ||Yes||Yes|
|MicroSD slot||Yes ||Yes||Yes|
|Partial Update||Yes ||Yes||Yes|
|Refresh Time||~1.35 s ||1.26 s||1.61 s|
|Refresh Time per Pixel||~1.74 μ ||2.63 μs||1.62 μs|
Some open source documentation is still being created, and will be made available soon. This will also be OSHWA certified hardware. In the meantime you can check out the firmware repository right here!
Interested in this project?
You can sign up to be notified when this campaign launches, and to get any other useful updates, right at the top of this page. We work hard to only send out useful information and you can unsubscribe at any time.