The Crowd Supply Guide: The Life Cycle of a Crowd Supply Campaign
Most of a Crowd Supply campaign takes place via a private git repo on GitHub. We use project repos as a simple way to manage content and collaborate on project details, so there’s no need to already be a professional git or GitHub user. A project manager will shepherd the creator through batches of issues which are the tasks that must be completed before, during, and after a campaign.
- Once your project is ready for a Crowd Supply campaign, you'll submit a form describing the project, which must be in a late-prototype stage.
- Crowd Supply will review the submission and ask any questions needed to determine suitability. If the submission is accepted, Crowd Supply will return a Statement of Work (SoW) for your signature.
- Once the SoW is signed, Crowd Supply will assign a Project Manager (PM) who will create and subsequently manage a private GitHub repo. The PM is the main point of contact for the duration of the campaign. The repo will be the main form of communication, file storage, staging, and organization for your campaign.
Next, you’ll start work on your pre-launch and campaign pages by working your way through the first two batches of issues:
- Messaging: define the basic elements of your campaign's message to backers
- Mouser setup:
- Images and prototypes: provide images for the pre-launch page, if possible, and send a prototype for that Crowd Supply can photograph, film, and possibly share with reviewers
- Pre-launch page: provide basic information so Crowd Supply can populate a pre-launch page
- Bill of materials quote: provide a BOM so Crowd Supply can seek a discounted quote from Mouser (optional)
- Pledge levels: detail each of the products or packages that will be available through your campaign
- Funding goal: determine how much your campaign must earn to be successful
- Comparison table: generate a table comparing your project with its competitors
- Campaign page draft: prepare a draft of the content that will appear on your campaign page, including value propositions, features & specs, video & graphics, documentation resources, etc.
- Video: write an outline for your campaign video or, if Crowd Supply is producing your video, provide high-level project details that the video should cover
- Export compliance: provide details that Crowd Supply can use to classify your product
- Certifications: determine certification requirements (if any)
- Plan weekly project updates: make a list of weekly updates you'll provide during the campaign and outline the initial updates
- Outreach plan: gather information and engage resources for your campaign's outreach effort
- Post-campaign pricing: work with Crowd Supply to prepare for post-campaign sales through your existing page and through Mouser's website
The creator coordinates with the PM to launch the campaign at an agreed upon date. During the campaign, in addition to finalizing the project design, the creator will work through the next batch of GitHub issues:
- Respond to backer questions
- Write weekly updates for each week of your campaign
Once your campaign reaches its funding goal, it’s time to prepare for post-campaign sales, put your manufacturing plan into action, and keep your backers updated:
- Orders and funds: verify the balance sheet for your campaign and provide the information that Crowd Supply will need to transfer funds (bank routing, transfer method, etc.)
- List your providers: let us know about any of your providers that you would recommend for our Providers Directory
- Post-campaign updates: continue producing updates on topics such as manufacturing progress, shipping schedules, etc.
- Fulfillment preparations: exchange fulfillment-related information with Crowd Supply (part numbers, packing slips, labels, etc.)
- Field reports: reach out to your backers and identify any who used your project in interesting ways
Question not answered here? Contact us to see how we can help.
The Crowd Supply Guide: Table of Contents
Before Your Campaign Launches
During Your Campaign
After Your Campaign Concludes